Matrax 4×4 HD – Engineered, Fully Drivable Composite Flooring System
Portal Flooring Designed for Fast, Easy Installation
Engineered, portable event flooring is a critical element for successful mobilization and demobilization of any event. The Matrax 4×4 flooring system was designed for to extreme loads and heavy wheeled equipment. Primarily used for major stadium events to protect the turf, it is also ideal for tent flooring, walkways, heavy staging areas, and temporary parking lots. Engineered for ease of installation and maximum performance, it meets the challenges associated with transforming venues for major events.
The injection-molded HDPE panels feature a solid back measuring 4’ x 4’ x 1.5” thick. The interlocking panels are engineered to sustain varying types of loading, including stage setup, large cranes, fully-loaded tractor trailers and other wheeled traffic.
The individual components of the Matrax turf protection flooring system have been designed to work in conjunction with one another to create a cover system that will protect athletic turf surfaces from the rigors of a non-sporting event. The system easy to install and provides a safe, strong and durable working surface for the event. Matrax utilizes a vertical locking system, with 4” overlapping flanges or “lips” to interlock individual panels to one other, creating a smooth surface that is free from trip hazards.
A super tough nylon material was selected for the cam lock component that will not rust or corrode, thus ensuring a long service life. The cam lock or “pin” provides the strength necessary to allow two panels to remain locked together during handling. The mats are shipped to the location and stored on 4′ x 8′ pallets in a two panel configuration, making installation, removal and storage more efficient. The overlapping upper and lower lips are reinforced with structural ribbing adding rigidity. This structural element allows for a smooth transition between the locks and along the entire length of the adjoining panels. The overlapping lips also prevent liquids and debris that may be spilled on the surface from reaching the turf below.
Matrax 4×4 HD Features
- Fully drivable: the overlapping flange design transfers the load from panel to panel, while the closed-back construction permits full contact with the ground with no voids. Molded pegs on the lower lips and corresponding sockets on the upper lips transfer lateral loads between individual panels. These features provide for an even distribution of load over the entire area of the mat, minimizing the overall load transferred to the turf below to create a fully drivable surface.
- The panels are engineered to accommodate thermal expansion, so they will never buckle – even in high heat
- Published third party testing has proven the Matrax closed-back system displays a lower degree of heat stress symptoms in summer compared to other systems. The translucent color permits sunlight, promoting natural grass growth for up to 14 days.
- The embossed diamond-plate surface pattern creates a non-skid surface
- The internal structure of each panel has a combination of ribs and cylinders that give the product a very high strength to weight ratio. The unique design lowers the density of ribs without compromising strength. The internal geometry combined with the physical properties of the product results in a mat that attains a load rating of 80,000 pounds per square foot.
- Lightweight assembly allows for easy installation, handling, and transporting.
- The HDPE material is easy to clean, is 100% recyclable and is proudly manufactured in the USA.
- The streamlined, integrated interlocking system is integrated into the panels with no loose parts
- Integrates with the Matrax 4×4 LD Light-Duty flooring panels, offering extreme versatility.
The Most Versatile Mat in Its Class
|Usable Platform Area||13.5 sq ft||1.25 sq m|
|Usable Roadway Length||3.67 ft||1.12 m|
|Weight||50 lbs||22.68 kg|
|Compressive Strength *||450 psi||3,100 kps|
|Max Wheel Load||300 psi||2,068 kps|
|Max Allowance Deflection||3 in||7.62 cm|
|Temperature Range||-4ᵒF - 113ᵒF||-20ᵒC - 45ᵒC|
|Burn Rating||UL 94-HB|
|Surface Texture Diamond|
Stadium event flooring
Temporary parking lots
Industrial warehouse flooring
Temporary work platforms and staging areas in industrial applications
Click here to see examples of Matrax 4×4 flooring installations in stadiums, modular structures, industrial applications and for use as pedestrian walkways.
Optional accessories are available to enhance the appearance, function and protection of the mats. Manufactured of the same high quality HDPE material, they offer the same strength and durability as the mats.
- ADA compliant ramps permit the access of vehicles and pedestrians.
- Ramped corners can be made my cutting the ramps
- Edge blocks are available in both locking and non-locking configurations to protect exposed edges
- Universal build joints allow for a bi-directional installation. As a result of the overlapping wedge design, it is the only drivable mat build joint on the market.
Click here for more information on Matrax 4×4 mat accessories.
As documented in the installation handbook, care needs to be taken when organizing and laying the mat configuration pattern in preparation of a large installation. Once the planned configuration has been laid out on the field, the actual installation can commence. It should be noted that at least one Supervisor should be present during the installation at all times.
Single Crew Configurations
- Supervisor -1
- Forklift Operator – 1
- Installers – 2
- Locking the System (one laborer using the T bar cam lock tool) – 1
- Crew Production = 4,000 Square Feet per Hour
Note: Additional Crews in the Single Crew Configuration described above will decrease the total installation time.
- One 4 x 8 pallet (60 mats) = 810 ft2 (75.25 m2) per pallet
- Footprint of one 4 x 8 pallet = 32 ft2 (2.97 m2)
- Three 4 x 8 pallets stacked one atop another = 2,430 ft2 (225.75 m2) in one 4 x 8 (stacked) footprint
- Forty-six stacked 4 x 8 footprints (111,780 ft2 or 10,384.70 m2 of field cover) = 1,600 ft2 or 148.6 m2 of storage area
- Stacks of three pallets = 10.5 feet in height (3.2 meters)
The Matrax 4×4 composite matting system is manufactured in a ISO 9001 certified plants in Ohio and New Jersey. The plant has the capacity to run 24 hours/day, 7 days/week as workloads dictate. This highly mechanized system coupled with high quality virgin thermoplastics produces a precision mat. Each mat is virtually identical to another which translates into a very efficient and easily installed system.